Garry Weaven Emerging Trustee Scholarship
An initiative of
Proudly supported by
In honour of Garry’s commitment to the interests of working people, the Garry Weaven Emerging Trustee Scholarship Program was launched by IFM Investors, and supported by the Australian Institute of Superannuation Trustees (AIST), and the Australian Council of Trade Unions (ACTU). This 12-month program is aimed at people interested in becoming a director in the $1.6 trillion profit-to-member superannuation sector.
Garry Weaven is one of the architects of Australia’s superannuation system and a leading light of the industry superannuation and trade union movements. Whilst Assistant Secretary of the Australian Council of Trade Unions, Garry helped develop the structure and encouraged the establishment of many of the superannuation funds that today look after the retirement savings of over half of the Australian workforce.
Garry was also the founder and Inaugural Chair of Industry Funds Management, now known as IFM Investors – a leading global provider of investment services to profit-to-member superannuation funds and like-minded investors across infrastructure, debt investments, listed equity and private equity.
The scholarship includes
Four scholarships are offered annually. The comprehensive program will provide the knowledge and skills-based training to ensure that the successful applicants are not only board-ready but acquire the necessary understanding of the duties, legislative and otherwise, that superannuation fund trustee directors require.
Some of the activities offered as part of the Garry Weaven Emerging Trustee Scholarship program include:
- Enrolment in the Harvard University Trustee Leadership Forum (usually held in July)
- Attendance at the ACTU Super Trustees Forum
- Enrolment in the AIST Trustee Director Course
- Membership of AIST in the year of the scholarship
- Allocation to a suitable mentor
- Networking opportunity with previous winners of the Garry Weaven scholarship and the opportunity to meet with Garry Weaven
* Travel expenses such as economy airfares and accommodation are included as part of the scholarship.
All applicants must meet the following requirements.
- Need to be trustee director of a profit-to-member super fund
- Have an endorsement letter from a profit-to-member fund or a sponsoring organisation/union
- Be an Australian citizen or permanent resident
- Employee representative, employer representative and independent directors appointed since 1 Jan 2020 are encouraged to apply
NB: All AIST staff and directors, ACTU Office Holders and IFM employees are ineligible to apply.
How to apply
Click here to open the Application Form
Applications close COB Friday 14th October.
A selection panel will review all applications and successful applicants will be notified shortly thereafter
For any application queries, contact Gabriella Mitchell-Smith, Leaderships Program Officer, AIST at firstname.lastname@example.org