Garry Weaven Emerging Trustee Scholarship
An initiative of
Proudly supported by
In honour of Garry’s commitment to the interests of working people, IFM Investors (IFM) are pleased to announce a new 12-month program for people interested in becoming a director in the $1.6 trillion profit-to-member superannuation sector.
Applications are now closed for 2021
Garry Weaven is one of the architects of Australia’s superannuation system and a leading light of the industry superannuation and trade union movements. Whilst Assistant Secretary of the Australian Council of Trade Unions, Garry helped develop the structure and encourage the establishment of many of the superannuation funds that today look after the retirement savings of over half of the workforce.
Garry was also the founder and Inaugural Chair of Industry Funds Management, now known as IFM Investors – a leading global provider of investment services to profit-to-member superannuation funds and like-minded investors across infrastructure, debt investments, listed equity and private equity.
In honour of Garry’s commitment to the interests of working people, the Australian Council of Trade Unions (ACTU), Australian Institute of Superannuation Trustees (AIST), and IFM Investors (IFM) are pleased to announce a new 12-month program for people interested in becoming a director in the $1.6 trillion profit-to-member superannuation sector.
The scholarship includes
There are four scholarships in total. They will provide the knowledge and skills-based training needed to get you board-ready and prepared to become a director.
Some of the activities offered as part of the Garry Weaven Emerging Trustee 2021 Scholarship program include:
- Enrolment in the Harvard University Trustee Leadership Forum virtual convening series
- Attendance at the ACTU Super Trustees Forum
- AGSM UNSW Workers Capital Module
- Enrolment in the AIST Trustee Director Course
- Allocation to a suitable mentor
- Membership of AIST in the year of the scholarship
- Networking opportunity with previous winners of the Garry Weaven scholarship
* Travel expenses such as airfares and accommodation are included as part of the scholarship.
All applicants must meet the following requirements.
- Have an endorsement letter from a profit-to-member fund or a sponsoring organisation/union
- Be an Australian citizen or permanent resident
- Application are open to directors appointed since 01/01/2019
NB: All AIST staff and directors, ACTU Office Holders and IFM employees are ineligible to apply.
How to apply
Click here to open the Application Form
Applications close on 2 July 2021
A selection panel will review all applications
Successful applicants will be notified in early July
For any application queries, please contact AIST's Senior Manager, People and Culture, Bessie Tripatzis on [email protected] or call 03 8677 3800